- Autonomous drones could soon change warfare by removing the need for a human to choose a target and fire.
- The US shipped hundreds of semi autonomous Switchblade drones to Ukraine.
- Modern drones use artificial intelligence more and more, raising concerns for some experts.
This UGV Miracle Weapon Should Now Save the Grunewald
August 04, 2022
It’s insane. The Berlin Grunewald is on fire. And cannot be deleted. Ammunition and explosions made it impossible for the fire brigade to be deployed on the ground for hours. But one gets there where no one else is allowed to go. Blasting robot Teodor.
The robot is controlled by Bundeswehr General Jürgen Karl Uchtmann (63), commander of the Berlin State Command. “We were here with 20 emergency services and were requested by the fire brigade at six o’clock this morning. We bring Teodor to the scene of the fire to clarify the situation on site.”View More
Breaking Defense – Bigger, Faster, Longer: As Market Grows, Loitering Munition Makers Eye Next Revolution
July 21, 2022
WASHINGTON: As the conflict in Ukraine demonstrated the lethal effectiveness of loitering munitions, the makers of the modern weapons said they’re responding to global demand by working to improve their
products into more capable and increasingly survivable systems to stay ahead in the market.
Inside Unmanned Systems: Up Close With Wahid Nawabi, Chairman, President & CEO of AeroVironment
July 07, 2022
From Switchblade® to Quantix™, AeroVironment is filling the skies of Ukraine with capable UAS. For Wahid Nawabi, the reasons are both technical and biographical.
These days, AeroVironment’s website comes out, well, firing. “We stand for freedom,” the message begins, “and we stand with our allies and sovereign nations in their right to protect their homelands and their very lives when this fundamental right is threatened.”View More
AeroVironment Awarded $6.2 Million Puma 3 AE Unmanned Aircraft Systems Contract by United States Marine Corps
June 14, 2022
- Puma 3 AE unmanned aircraft system delivers immediate tactical reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition in day or night maritime and land-based operations
- AeroVironment’s small unmanned aircraft systems comprise the majority of all unmanned aircraft in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) inventory; deployed by more than 50 allied governments
ARLINGTON, Va., June 14, 2022 – AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), a global leader in intelligent, multi-domain robotic systems, today announced receipt of a $6,166,952 firm-fixed-price contract award for Puma™ 3 AE small unmanned aircraft systems (SUAS) and spares on May 3, 2022, for the U.S. Marine Corps. Delivery is anticipated to be completed in July 2022.View More
CNN "First Move" - Russia's War on Ukraine
May 04, 2022
Fox News’ Douglas Kennedy reports on the kamikaze switchblade drones used to aid Ukraine's fight against Russia.View More
CBS Sunday Morning: The Switchblade "kamikaze" Drone
May 01, 2022
A one-time-use unmanned aerial vehicle, the Switchblade drone is a powerful weapon that can dive bomb its targets, such as tanks and artillery nests, at a range of up to 30 miles. So far, 700 Switchblades – large and small – have been supplied to Ukraine for use against Russian forces. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin talks with the CEO of Switchblade manufacturer Aerovironment, Wahid Nawabi, who as a child in Afghanistan saw the effects of an invading Russian army – and the power of innovative defense technology.View More
AeroVironment Successfully Demonstrates Multi-Domain Unmanned Systems, Computer Vision and Sensor Fusion Software at IMX/CE 22
April 26, 2022
- Demonstrated multi-sensor data fusion and automatic target recognition (ATR) using AeroVironment’s Blue Hotel tactical grade computer vision and data analysis software package
- AeroVironment’s battlefield proven DDL technology provided robust command, control and video datalink for U.S. and Royal Navy airborne assets in the challenging maritime environment
ARLINGTON, Va., April 26, 2022 – AeroVironment, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVAV), a global leader in intelligent, multi-domain robotic systems, today announced the successful maritime demonstration of Interoperability to Interchangeability (I2I) operations by the U.S. Navy and Royal Navy using AeroVironment’s Puma™ 3 AE small unmanned aircraft systems. The demonstration was part of a combined event – International Maritime Exercise 2022/Cutlass Express 2022 (IMX/CE 22) – that took place from Feb. 6-17, 2022.View More
Charged with the challenge of tracking low-slung vessels over vast oceans, counter-trafficking forces often have to choose between stealth and search area. Now thanks to Puma AE UAS, they are discovering they can have both.View More